“Volcano Time Bomb” to debut on Discovery
December 5, 2012
Discovery Channel is to air Volcano Time Bomb, a one-hour special about the science of monitoring and predicting volcanic eruptions, on December 9.
Produced by New Zealand-based indie NHNZ, the program will air as part of the U.S. cable network’s ‘Curiosity’ strand.
The special follows scientists as they attempt to gauge potential eruptions and, more broadly, society’s long-term survival. The shoot took executive producers Craig Meade and Phil Fairclough, and Edge West producer Phil Day, to nine active volcanoes around the world, including many in North America.
The idea evolved from an idea based on the Mayan calendar doomsday scenario hype called The End of the World: Live.
“Our original idea was to see what events might actually have the power to bring about the end of the world, if it was going to happen on December 21, 2012 when the Mayan calendar ends,” Fairclough said in a statement. “We quickly boiled it down to a discussion of volcanoes, as the most devastating force on planet Earth and the least predictable force of nature about which very little is understood, especially in the field of forecasting.
“Surprisingly, in North America, we are all much more at risk of the effects of a volcanic eruption than most of us know,” he added. “A big eruption of a super volcano has the power to bring the entire U.S. to a standstill and kill millions.”
Volcano Time Bomb will premiere on Discovery Channel on December 9 at 9 p.m. EST/PST.
UPCOMING TV AIR DATESSex Sent Me To The ER
Every Saturday 10 PM
- Mail Online – Woman left with third-degree burns after boyfriend drizzles a melted 5lb GUMMY BEAR on her during sex
- HitFix.com – Sex Sent Me to the ER – feels the burn with gummy foreplay
- Cynopsis Media – Saturday’s Premieres
- Couple Have Worst Sex Ever After Melted Gummy Bear Burns Skin Off Woman
- Huffington Post – Gummy Bear Sex Ends With E.R. Visit
- TheWrap.com – Man Searches for Viagra, Finds Seizure Instead
- USA TODAY – Tenn. couple’s bedroom antics land on TV show
- RealScreen – Renewed, returning – Sex Sent Me…